Thursday, January 26, 2006

Henry Darger





Another artist I admire is Henry Darger. A lot has been written about him lately because he has been an underated artist. Now he is starting to become more recognized in the art world. I love the way he has created an imagined world full of very serious content.

Henry Darger (April 12?, 1892–April 13, 1973) was a reclusive American writer and illustrator who worked as a janitor in the Chicago, Illinois area. His major claim to fame is a 15,000-page fantasy manuscript called The Story of the Vivian Girls, in What is known as the Realms of the Unreal, of the Glandeco-Angelinnian War Storm, Caused by the Child Slave Rebellion, along with several thousand watercolor paintings and other drawings illustrating the story. Darger's work has become one of the most notable examples of outsider art.

For more information click here: Henry Darger


So, maybe I'm a bit slow, but I have just found out about wikipedia. It's a complete encyclopedia of any information you could ever imagine and it's controlled by you and anybody. I guess I did hear of it a few months ago after the hurricane Katrina disaster, but I wasn't sure what it was. It's such a great resource.

No comments: