Monday, March 05, 2007

Paul Wunderlich





While I was farming in Italy, I came across a book of an exhibition of artists who created kites. Paul Wunderlich was one of the artists, and I fell in love with his work after doing some more research on him. Some surprising information I found out was that Horst Janssen switched from lithography to etching as a pupil under Paul Wunderlich and later regarded Wunderlich as a rival. How surprising that these two are related. I can definitely see the resemblance, but some how I'm more drawn to Janssens work, but yet I like the surrealist aspects of Wunderlichs work. This is fantastic information to me! I need to find out more about this relationship.


Painter, sculptor and Printmaker

Wunderlich studied at the Hamburg Academy and after a three year stay in Paris returned to Hamburg to be Professor of the Art Academy there. He now lives and works in Hamburg and for part of the year in France.
His early work was in an "abstract-figurative" style, but in the sixties he adopted a more symbolist, even surrealist style. He painted and printed many images taken from the fine photographs by his wife, Karin Szekessy He has held many major exhibitions world wide and has won innumerable International prizes, particularly for his colour lithography. He has been immensely prolific and has a vast oeuvre of prints, paintings in many media, sculpture, jewellery and furniture design. His renditions after classic paintings by artists such as Dürer, Ingres and Rembrandt show his inventiveness





Red Fern Gallery-drypoints
The Hart Gallery-sculpture, lithographs, and painting.
Gallery Brockstedt-prints
Limited Editon Graphics-prints


-

No comments: