Monday, May 15, 2006

Chloe Piene

Posted by Picasa

Chloe Piene

So, I've updated some contemporary artists that I like under the link contemporary artists on the side bar. I still haven't finished adding images, but at least the links are there for now. One artist I like is Chloe Pienes. Her work is beautiful. She manages to to pull in dark images with such subtle beauty that it is hard not to stare at her work in awe. This is something that I am working on. My images can be at times dark, so I'm trying to find that balance.

The imprint of the American Chloe Piene’s charcoal drawings is sensitive despite the heavy subject matters. In her works Piene has examined, among other things, sexuality and death. The subject matter is often inspired by primitive rituals or mythologies and the history of art and biblical stories. The nudity of the figures that extends down to the bone, sparely sketched and fragile outlines and transparency of the paper is in juxtaposition to the carnality of the subjects.

No comments: