Thursday, April 26, 2007

Alan Moore



I love Union Square in San Francisco. There are about 30 galleries within the radius of a few blocks ranging from contemporary to the good old Mattise, Chagall and so on. When the Great comes, I hope to show her some of my favorites. I've recently been admiring the Chagalls on display. His prints are so beautiful. Also, Miro's prints have struck an interest in me. Today at Union Square in SF there was an art show that I enjoyed during my lunch. The art show was more in the style of an "art fair" that you'd usually see during the summer. The weather here is so beautiful right now it might as well be summer. Anyways, I was walking through the usual still lifes, and kitty paintings when I ran into Alan Moore. His work was so beautful. His website does not even come anywhere close to what his work is like in person, but it is so beautiful. It reminds me of wabi sabi pottery from Japan. It's very spiritual and playful. I talked to him for a while and found out that the way we approach art is very similar. He didn't have any fancy words and didn't go to a fancy art school (he's not even a trained artist), and I found that very refreshing especially for the Bay Area. I think he's a genius, and if I had a gallery, I would have picked him up in a heart beat. This painting above was one of my favorite smaller pieces. I wanted to buy it, but I'm to po'. I think he'd like monoprinting a lot, and was trying to convince him to take printmaking, but I think he thought I was talking about Giclee prints. Anyways what he does he does well in his chosen medium.

Alan Moore

No comments: